THOMAS YEATES PARKER MICHAELSON
The late Mr T Y P Michaelson, whose portrait we here present to our readers, was born at the old hall [Barrow Island] in April 1814. His education was commenced at Shrewsbury School, under the late Dr Butler, from whence he was afterwards removed to Trinity College, Cambridge. From the time of his coming of age he resided on the island, and soon after he received his commission in the Furness Troop of Yeomanry Cavalry. In 1841 he married Jane, eldest daughter of the late Charles Gibson, Esq., of Quernmore Park, near Lancaster. and shortly after was qualified as a Justice of the Peace for the Division of Lonsdale North of the Sands. Thomas Michaelson was an active magistrate in a district which then, for many years, contained no other within twelve miles of Barrow. He was also a deputy-lieutenant of the county, and a zealous supporter of the Conservative interest.
His death, from a lingering decline, at the comparative early age of 41, occurred in the Isle of Barrow, on the 24th July, 1855, leaving a widow with three sons and two daughters to mourn his loss. His remains were interred at the east end of Walney church-yard. Within the neat enclosure that contains his grave a stone has been erected ... The old farm-house is of much older date than the hall, but of its early days we can give no clue. The engraving which we here give [see below] is from a photograph by Mr Charles P Edwards of Barrow [details taken from 'Furness Past and Present, volume 2', by George Markham Tweddell & Joseph Richardson, 1870].
THE OLD FARMHOUSE, BARROW ISLAND
Return to Walney Graveyard Curiosities page